August 12, 2017

1106, 1126, 3119 CROATIA (Split-Dalmatia) - Historic City of Trogir (UNESCO WHS)

1106 City of Trogir

Posted on 19.06.2014, 05.07.2014, 12.08.2017
Located on a small island between the Croatian mainland and the island of Čiovo, on the Adriatic coast, at 27km west of the city of Split, the historic city of Trogir is an excellent example of a medieval town built on and conforming with the layout of a Hellenistic and Roman city that has conserved its urban fabric to an exceptional degree. The ancient town of Tragurion (island of goats) was founded by Greek colonists from the island of Vis in the 3rd century BC. The Hellenistic town was enclosed by megalithic walls and its streets were laid out on a Hippodamian grid plan: the line of the ancient cardo maximus is that of the modern main street.

1126 Aerial view of the city of Trogir

The town flourished in the Roman period as an oppidum civium romanorum; during the late Roman period it was extended and refortified. It was also endowed with two large aisled basilicas, sited where the latter-day Cathedral and Benedictine Church of St John the Baptist now stand. During the migration of Slavs, the citizens of the destroyed Salona escaped to Trogir. In the second half of the 9th century Trogir became part of the Byzantine Theme of Dalmatia, with its capital at Zadar, and it was occupied by Venice at the end of the 10th century.

3119 City of Trogir - Kamerlengo Castle

Early medieval Trogir expanded to the south and new fortifications were constructed. At the beginning of the 12th century Trogir accepted Hungarian rule when the Theme of Dalmatia was overrun. There was a short period of Venetian rule in the early 14th century, but it was not until 1420 that the town became part of the Venetian empire. Between the 13th and 15th centuries much new building took place, this period seeing the construction of the Cathedral and the Camerlengo fortress, a radical remodelling of the main square, and two campaigns of reconstruction and strengthening of the fortifications.

Trogir is the best-preserved Romanesque-Gothic complex not only in the Adriatic, but in all of Central Europe. Trogir's medieval core, surrounded by walls, comprises a preserved castle and tower and a series of dwellings and palaces from the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods. Trogir's grandest building is the church of St. Lawrence, whose main west portal is a masterpiece by Radovan, and the most significant work of the Romanesque-Gothic style in Croatia.

About the stamps
On the postcard 1106
The first stamp (1,6 HRK), designed by Fan Zeng (modern master of traditional Chinese painting), was issued on January 4, 2012, to celebrate the Year of Dragon.

The second stamp is part of the series Croatian Flora - Endem Orchids, designed by Sabina Rešić, and issued on April 11, 2014:
Ophrys dinarica (2,8 HRK)
Serapias istriaca (2,8 HRK)
Ophrys liburnica (3,1 HRK) - It's on the postcard 1106

On the postcard 1126

The stamp is part of the series Croatia Undersea World, designed by Alenka Lalić, issued on April 9, 2014, and comprising 4 stamps with same face value (5,8 HRK):
• Ornate wrasse a / Thalassoma pavo - It's on the postcard 1136
• The golden sponge / Aplysina aerophoba - It's on the postcard 1170
• European fan worm / Sabella spallanzanii - It's on the postcard 1129
• Mediterranean violet aeolid / Flabellina affinis - It's on the postcard 1126

On the postcard 3119
The stamp is part of the series Eurasian griffon, about which I wrote here

Trogir - Wikipedia
Historic City of Trogir - UNESCO official website

Sender 1106: Dragan Buškulić (direct swap)
Sent from Rijeka (Primorje-Gorski Kotar / Croatia), on 02.06.2014
Sender 1126: Marius Vasilescu
Sent from Trogir (Split-Dalmatia / Croatia), on 26.06.2014
Sender 3119: Marius Vasilescu
Sent from Trogir (Split-Dalmatia / Croatia), on 15.06.2017 

No comments:

Post a Comment